How to use Google maps to promote your business
July 14, 2016
Believe or not, 97% internet users search for a local businesses online. Optimising your website for local searches is a great way to divert more traffic towards it. One of the best ways to optimise for local searches is to list your business on Google Maps. Here is a step by step by guide on how to list your business locally.
Before you start:
- You will need a Gmail account. If you don’t have one already, create a Google account for free.
- Once you have a Gmail account, go to Google Maps and search for your business. Google automatically lists businesses that are added to the yellow pages and if you have ever added your business to Yellow pages, there is a high chance that your business is already listed with Google maps.
- If your business is already listed on Google Maps, claim the listing and improve it. (read below to find out how you can claim the business that is already listed on Google maps)
- If your business is not listed on Google, it won’t appear on the map. To list it, go to Google Places and sign in using your Gmail account. Follow the instructions and create your business listing. Google will validate the information you provided and when the validation is done, it will activate your business listing. This can take up to two weeks, so be patient.
What to do if your business is already listed on Google maps
As mentioned above, if you have ever listed your business on Yellow pages or any other online directory, Google would have automatically listed you. If you find your business on Google maps, here is how you can claim it and then edit it.
- When you search for your listing on Google maps, you will get a bunch of options on the left-hand side panel.
- Click on the relevant listing and it will pop up on the map. To edit the details, you will have to click the ‘more’ button. Listings that are not claimed can be edited by anyone. So, you must claim your listing.
- To claim the listing, click on ‘manage your page’ button located under ‘is this your business’ and follow the instruction.
- Once you have clicked the ‘manage your page’ button, you will get a bunch of options. Choose the one that suits you the best. You can suspend your listing, reject your listing, edit your listing, or create a new listing.
Improving your business listing
Do not assume that phone numbers and addresses are sufficient to attract potential customers. Instead, utilise this space to impress your customers and add as much information as possible. Add photos, landmark, website URL’s, etc. Choose the categories carefully. Only use relevant categories so Google can rank you for those keywords.
Once you submit your ranking, Google will send you verification pin. Follow all the instructions carefully and soon your business will be listed on Google Maps and your customers will be finding you like never before.